Friday, December 28, 2007

Help for A Former Junkie

My friend just got out of rehab. Which is a cause for celebration in itself, and I don't need to share all the sordid details because just the very fact that it had to reach the point where official, outside intervention had to come in, means that in his life, shit had really hit the fan.

I always knew that he would pull through. In fact, when I was in Takashimaya in Singapore, I saw this wonderful card that I had just had to get for him, though he was still in the center.

From the good people of Knock Knock ("a semi-spanking new design company with aspirations to greatness") I love the cheekiness of it all, and this card I love the most because it's so apt for my dear former junkie friend:



I realized that second part of the card really is true. It's difficult to stay on the straight, sober path if the rest of the world goes on its crazy ways.

His first year sobriety anniversary will happen in May. So, as a pledge of support, and this is all I can do anyway since he's oceans away, I won't drink a drop till May also.

It's not much of a sacrifice really. I don't drink that much, I've been looking for a perfect reason not to. And this is as much for me, as it is for him.

No comments: