Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Meet the Uncles

1) Frat Pack Humor

There's this certain type of guy humor, that I tend gravitate towards -- absurd, crazy, Will Ferrellish -- and I think I now know where it stems from. My Tito Hayie plays the arrogant, self-absorbed, loud buffoon to a hilt. They were late for our Christmas reunion, and immediately, he body slammed my kid cousins screaming maniacally. He did the same to my 80-year old grandma.

When my eight-year old cousin opened the Christmas program with his recitation of "Santa in Manila", with all the pomposity of an-early-learned Atenean twang ("Santuh in Manela"), Tito Hayie played the rapt, over-reacting audience member, whose face contorted with all sorts of emotion as Darren recounted the beauty of a Philippine Christmas. When Darren emphasized a phrase by speaking loudly and stamping his foot, Tito Hayie nearly fell off his chair in a fit of emotion.




2)
Retro Love

If my life were a movie, Tito Butch would be the embarrassing uncle who gets drunk during reunions and embarrasses everyone with his slurred speeches and dated dance moves. This Christmas, he was on his third Red Horse before it hit noon. So unsurprisingly, after lunch, during the talent program, he got up, grabbed the mic from my kid cousins and started rocking to The Dawn's Envelope Ideas.




He sports a semi-mohawk, skull rings and torn jeans. My brother's kindred spirit, we all figure. But he's also (like me) a high school History teacher, and the only one with an M.A. degree among his siblings.


3) The Forever Bachelor

Then there's Tito Manny -- who just laughs at absolutely everything that goes on. He laughs at Tito Hayie, he laughs at Tito Butch. He laughs when he distributes his Christmas gifts -- pin-up posters
of Piolo Pascual, Toni Gonzaga, Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson.




I could tell he was really tickled pink by the bewildered look on our faces when he handed these around.

No comments: