Monday, February 4, 2008

Me-->Stephen-->The Strokes

How could I not know that I am related to someone who knows The Strokes? Who interviewed The Strokes?




We had dinner at my tito's house yesterday, and I was introduced to Steven -- my 26-year old second cousin who is half-Pinoy and half-Jew.

We talked about writing and journalism, since he used to work for a publication in Manhattan.

And if I hadn't asked, he wouldn't have bothered to mention that the magazine is actually SPIN magazine, and that he worked there in 2003 -- the year that The Strokes was named BAND OF THE YEAR.

I was getting a mild heart attack. First-hand anecdotes about Nick Valensi and Julian Casablancas.

"So. Are they nice?" my question came out like a squeak.

Intelligent. Well-read. Could go on and on about their favorite books and movies. Steven said that he didn't get to talk to them about their music much, concerned as he was, less with being a journalist, but more with being their friend.

And then Steven goes, "I'm surprised. You're the first person in the Philippines I've talked to that knows them. So what other music do you listen to?"

Off the top of my head, and because I've been listening to them the past couple of days, I said "Moldy Peaches."

He almost choked, "The Moldy Peaches? The duo that sing just like they're talking? The Moldy Peaches?"

I go why?

"They're obscure even for New York"

Hah. Hipster. Hehehe.

He told me that Kimya Dawson, one-half of the Moldy Peaches duo, used to be his friend's baby sitter. Weird hair and all.


No comments: