Monday, February 25, 2008

What Are Your Top Oscar Moments?

Here are some of mine:

1) When Jon Stewart brought Marketa Irglova (Best Song, Falling Slowly) back to the stage to complete her abruptly cut acceptance speech.




"The fact that we're standing here tonight, the fact that we're able to hold this, it's just proof that no matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible," Irglova said during take two. "And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream, and don't give up. This song was written from the perspective of hope, and hope, at the end of the day, connects us all, no matter how different we are."

Well worth it, don't you think?


2) Marion Cotillard Winning Best Actress

Because everybody predicted that Julie Christie would get it, and because it is Cotillard who deserved it.



3) Charlie Chaplin and Cary Grant Montage Moment

One of the things I always look forward to in the Oscars are the montages. The sight of so many screen legends -- shining their brightest, or regal in their twilight of years -- always gets to me and I get a lump in my throat. This year's slices of an elderly, tearful Cary Grant and Chaplin, emotional after his exile and homecoming to an honorary Oscar were the money shots.



4) The Superbad Face-Off

"No, I like Dame Judi Dench. I think she's great. I just always felt that I gave more off a Halle Berry vibe."





5) Periscope and Binoculars Montage

As my friend Pawee would say, "It's just Silly Fun."


6) Javier Bardem's Acceptance Speech

The heartfelt one to his mom in Spanish. I don't know what he said, but it sure sounded eloquent.








No comments: