Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hunger Games: The Movie

They say that after you read a book - you've already created the movie version in your head. Complete with cast, set, soundtrack. Well for The Hunger Games trilogy, I did.

The very first person I cast was the evil President Snow.

He had to be snake-like and sinister. And so, Ben Kingsley as President Snow.

Next was the leader of District 13. There was no other person in my mind.


Strong, authoritative, ambitious. Helen Mirren as Coin.

I thought Rue and Prim were also pretty easy to cast. You just need a frail, pretty little girl with big, big eyes. And because Dakota Fanning is old --

Her younger sister, Elle Fanning as Rue or Prim or both.

Her role as Professor Umbridge is still quite fresh in my mind. And I think Effie Trinket is a lot like Umbridge. Must be the pink.

Imelda Staunton as Effie Trinket.

For Peeta, it had to be a big guy, who was soft and marshmallowy and kind. And harmless.

I couldn't think of anybody, and so -- the guy from Glee as Peeta.

For Cinna, when I was reading the book, he struck me as kind of effeminate, but at the same time he's quiet and smart and talented. I thought, maybe...


BJ Novak as Cinna. Because I want to cast someone from The Office.

Finnick Odair is suppose to be hot and strong and.. hot.

Chace Crawford as Finnick Odair. Actually, any other hot, blonde, blue-eyed boy would do.

For Haymitch, my first instinct was Jim Broadbent or Robbie Coltrane. Someone fat and boorish. Because Haymitch was always drunk right? But I remembered, that you had to have a sense that Haymitch used to be young and deadly and sharp. He had to have a hint of his glory days. And so...


My favorite ex-junkie, Robert Downey Jr. as Haymitch.

One of the hardest to cast is the lead herself. Because, in my mind, young Hollywood is full of pink and fluff and pop. But then, there's always....

Camilla Belle as Katniss Everdeen.




Help. I have no Gale yet!

No comments: